With energy costs quickly rising, many individuals are searching for alternative methods of staying warm when the cold weather strikes. Although there are many different options, electric blankets are fairly inexpensive to purchase and use. However, deciding which blanket to buy can be a little tricky. Here are some important factors that you should consider before making your purchase.
When looking at different brands and styles of electric blankets, the first thing you should consider is safety. Check to make sure that the blanket has a UL or ETL mark to show that it meets safety regulations. Typically, all of the models made by any of the top brands will meet the UL standards.
It is also important to remember that even if it does meet safety standards, you still need to properly care for your blanket to keep it working properly and safely. For example, check the cords for damage on a regular basis, have your blanket inspected every two to three years and always follow the instructions that are listed in the user’s manual.
Buy with quality in mind. Although there are many brands that manufacture electric blankets, always stick with a brand you trust. When you buy one of the least expensive electric blankets on the market, you may also discover that the quality is not as good. It’s better to spend a little more money on a blanket that you will be able to safely use for many years.
Ten years ago, electric blankets did not come equipped with the numerous features that are available today. Over the past several years, these blankets have been redesigned, safety features have been improved and they are a great option for individuals who want to stay warm at night without turning up the heat. Here are some of the most popular features that potential buyers are looking for in an electric blanket.
1. Dual controllers. In the past, most blankets could only be heated to one temperature. The dual control option allows each side of the bed to be heated differently for individualized comfort.
2. Automatic shut off. Most blankets made today come equipped with this feature and automatically shut off after 10-12 hours. This feature is extremely convenient for people who forget to turn off their electric blanket in the morning, and it makes today’s blankets much safer than blankets that were manufactured 10 years ago.
3. Cordless. Wireless electric blankets are quickly becoming one of the most popular blankets on the market today. One of the biggest complaints customers have regarding their electric blanket is having an unsightly cord hanging off the bed. It can also be a safety hazard when getting out of bed in the middle of the night. With the wireless blanket, you no longer have to worry about bothersome cords.
4. Machine washable. Most blankets made today are machine washable. However, you still need to be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Following the instructions is the best way to prevent damage to your blanket.
5. Warranty. A warranty is one of the most important things to consider when choosing an electric blanket. Even if you have to spend a little more money, it is probably worth the extra cost. Then, if your blanket isn’t working properly, you simply call the service center to figure out the problem. If the problem can’t be fixed, the company will provide you with a replacement. One thing to remember if you’re planning to use the warranty is to keep your receipt.
Over the past several years, the quality and safety of electric blankets has dramatically improved. Regardless of the type, style or brand of blanket you decide to purchase, you will save energy and still sleep comfortably regardless of the outdoor temperature.