If you’re looking for a decent electric blanket at a reasonable price, then the Sunbeam Microplush Throw electric blanket is just that. You won’t get the kind of quality or features that you would find in some of the higher end electric blankets like the Soft Heat Luxury, but you’re not paying for it either.
For what it costs, though, it’s a fairly good electric blanket and does what it was made to do well, which is to give you extra warmth during cold nights and evenings. Keep in mind that this is technically not a blanket but a “throw”, meaning it was primarily designed to be used when sitting on a chair or sofa, unlike blankets which are intended for use on beds. So don’t expect it to replace your bed covers.
- Machine washable. This blanket is very easy to care for as it’s fully washing machine safe. Unless you like hand washing your throws and blankets, this is a feature you’ll definitely want to have.
- Varying warm settings. The temperature control dial allows you to pick from 3 different heat settings: low, medium and high. If you don’t like having to deal with complicated controls, then you’ll appreciate the simple design of the controls.
- Auto off. When you turn it on, the blanket will automatically start a timer that will turn the blanket off after 3 hours. Let’s face it, most people who use these will forget to turn them off, wasting precious energy in the process, so it’s a nice feature that will give its users one less thing to have to worry about.
- Heats up quickly. Users will like the fact that this blanket heats up fairly quickly. In fact, it will get very warm within minutes of turning it on.
- Lacks heating power. Some people might find the blanket to be just “lukewarm”, even on the high setting. So it would not be advisable to use this blanket in a very cold room or area of your home, as it just wouldn’t provide you with sufficient heat in such a setting.
- Somewhat uneven heating. You’ll find that this blanket has “cold spots”, meaning there will be areas of the blanket that will feel warm and other areas that don’t. This can sometimes happen with electric blankets with lower quality heating elements or poor spacing of the heating wires. However, it isn’t actually as bad as it sounds, and often times you won’t even notice it when you’re using it since heat tends to get dispersed regardless. But on really cold days, you’ll probably feel the cold spots.
Should I Buy the Sunbeam Microplush Throw Electric Blanket?
Although it does have a few drawbacks, the Sunbeam Microplush Throw is still a good blanket that we’d recommend to anybody in need of an electric blanket/throw but isn’t looking to spend lavishly on one. If you’re looking for an electric blanket to use in your bed, you’ll want to spend a little more to get something like the Sunbeam Royal Dreams, but if all you need is a little extra warmth and comfort for when you’re watching TV on the sofa, then this will more than suffice. And because just about anyone can afford it, we’ve chosen the Sunbeam Microplush Throw as the best budget electric blanket.